Adobe Flash Player support comes to an end after December 31, 2020, and Adobe itself asks users to remove the software for security reasons. Flash content won’t work even if the Player remains installed on Windows, so deleting it is more than recommended. Here’s how to uninstall Adobe Flash Player on Windows and Mac.
How to delete Flash Player on Windows
The walkthrough below is only for the program installed on Windows, not applicable to Flash included in browsers.
- Download the Adobe Flash for Windows uninstaller;
- Close all browsers. The file will not work if any problems that Flash use are running;
- Run the uninstaller;
- Follow the instructions in the file. If it asks permission to make changes, click “Yes.”
When the process is over, it’s time to delete flash player files and folders. Follow the steps below:
- Go to “Start” > “Run”;
- Copy and paste the text in italicsclick on “OK”:<home directory>/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Flash
- Delete all files from this folder;
- Do the same with the following destinations:
- %appdata%AdobeFlash Player
- %appdata%MacromediaFlash Player
Ready. After that, restart your computer and enter the status page to see if the software has been successfully deleted.
How to uninstall Flash on Mac
The instructions below are valid for Flash installed on your Mac and are not applicable to Flash Player included in browsers.
- Download the Adobe Flash uninstaller for Mac;
- Go to the folder where you saved the file and double-click it;
- Click “Open” if necessary;
- When the file opens, click “Uninstall”;
- Close all browsers. The uninstaller will continue to run;
- You’ll see a message warning you that Flash has been successfully removed. Click “Completed”;
- Delete the following directories:
- <home directory>/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Flash
- <home directory>/Library/Caches/Adobe/Flash Flash
After that, just check if the uninstall has been completed successfully:
- Restart your Mac;
- Open the verification page and check flash status on your computer.